Pregnancy is probably one of the most important phases in a mother’s life. During this period one needs to be extra cautious about the health because of the little life growing inside slowly. Staying hydrated is one of the priorities during pregnancy because of the health of the baby. However, one needs to check for the signs that indicate otherwise. Symptoms like constant thirst; dryness of the skin might be the result of dehydrated body. In order to keep it in check one needs to know about the reasons that cause dehydration, the symptoms associated with it and finally how to deal with it.
- Roots of the problem:
There are various factors that might be responsible for the lack of water within the body-
- The usual morning sickness might be one of the many reasons behind the dehydrated body. The body loses fluid due to this and it results in dehydration.
- Hyperemesis Gravidarum or the severe form of morning sickness happens mainly in case of mothers expecting more than one baby. This is a reason of dehydration too.
- Diarrhea is a pretty general problem during pregnancy that happen due to major hormonal changes in the body. It results in dehydration.
- Finally, dehydration may simply be caused by lack of water intake on a regular basis.
There are numerous signs that tell the mommy that she is suffering from dehydration-
- Thirst is the most telling symptom that makes the brain aware about the lack of fluid in the body.
- Constant feeling of dizziness might be another sign of dehydration. Dehydration causes a huge fall in the blood pressure and as a result one may experience vertigo.
- Migraine or headache.
- Change of color of the urine is a pretty strong sign regarding the water intake of the body. If the urine is clear in color and doesn’t smell one may feel relaxed about the dehydration issues.
- Nausea and abdominal cramps.
- Dryness of the mouth and body.
If the problem is more serious then the signs become more complicated too. One may feel weakness, constipation, urine infection and many other problems due to lack of fluid in the body.
Recognizing the symptoms is not enough. One needs to take care of this problem as soon as possible because dehydration may seriously affect the health of the baby. In order to deal with dehydration one needs to-
- Drink more and more water. Making a routine of drinking a cup of water on an hourly basis might be a good habit.
- Drinking water might be boring all the time. One may drink lemon water of watermelon juice as options.
- Soups, herbal teas, juices are good alternative of water to keep the water balance intact.
- Saying no to caffeine is a must.
- Saying no to all kinds of alcoholic beverages also works in the favor.
Staying hydrated is a very important criterion to maintain a healthy body during pregnancy and that is why one needs to be extra careful about it.