Being a mother is the most amazing experience, they say. However, the feeling of giving birth to a whole new human being can be a little overwhelming. That is why; many expecting mothers find it difficult to cope up with all those overwhelming emotions. So depression, anxiety, and many other problems follow them around. However, any traumatic mental health issues can be harmful to the baby growing day by day inside the womb. One needs to be extra cautious to keep mental health in check during pregnancy because of that.
Here are the problems that may occur and how to deal with them:
When talking about mental health during pregnancy one need not worry about the regular normal mood swings that happen to almost all the women out there. However, for some, the problems seem to be deep-rooted and more critical. They face problems like:
- Constant depression– this might be because of the depression of life before getting pregnant. Depression can be caused by constant household stress, stress with work, unwanted pregnancy, and many other reasons.
- Anxiety– generally it starts with the feeling of something bad happening to the baby. The worry of being a new mom might also be the reason
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Eating disorder
There are many other mental health-related problems that occur during pregnancy but these are the most common ones.
The first step to take care of the mental health of expecting moms is to recognize the problem. So, a little knowledge about these problems might help.
After recognizing the mental health problem that someone is facing, they need to consult the doctor as soon as possible. One might start with the doctor they have chosen for the whole birth process. The doctor might refer to other specialists to deal with these mental health issues. There are several ways of treating these problems:
- Medicines– There are several medicines available that might give relief to the disturbed minds of expecting moms. However, one should never self prescribe these. Consulting a doctor before taking these medicines is a must. Otherwise, the baby might get badly affected.
- Talking helps– this might seem a little too simple but it is true. Most of the mental health problems might get solved by simply talking about them. This is true about pregnant women too. That is why consulting a therapist during pregnancy is always a good decision. One might deal with anxiety and depression in this way too. Therapists might be a really good guide to advise about the upcoming duties of a mom and the process of raising a child.
- Yoga– the same old practice of yoga has been found to be extremely helpful to keep the mind at peace.
- Exercise– Regular exercise helps in the secretion of feel-good hormones which helps deal with stress and anxiety.
To sum up, an expecting mom should be extra cautious about her mental health because a happy and healthy mom gives birth to a happy and healthy child.