The food habits of the mother during pregnancy have direct impacts on the overall development of the fetus. Therefore, take care of what you eat throughout the day for development of the baby’s organs.
Studies have revealed that certain foods have great effects on the memory of the baby and its capacity to learn new things. If you are curious to find out which foods are good for the development of the baby’s brain, we are here to help you.
What to eat to promote growth of brain cells of the baby?
Along with taking prenatal vitamins, it is wiser to consume foods that are high in vitaminA, protein, magnesium, potassium, calcium, folic acid, omega-3 fatty acids and fiber. Add these superfoods in your diet to help the fetus stay healthy and grow steadily.
Here are tips to ensure proper development of your baby’s brain through your diet:
- Prenatal vitamin- It is essential to take a prenatal vitamin as the foods we eat are not sufficient for the baby’s overall development. Prenatal vitamin contains all the vitamins required for growth of essential organs like brain and eyes.
- Fish- Fish is always good for the brain health of the fetus. But remember that mercury contamination through fish is the last thing you want. So, eat freshwater fish when you are pregnant and avoid shark, swordfish, king mackerel and tilefish. You can have salmon, Pollack, tilapia, whitefish, and catfish occasionally as their mercury-content is low.
- Protein and iron- You need protein for making hormones and building cells for the growing baby. Yogurt, eggs and meat are some good sources of protein. Also focus on iron intake as iron delivers oxygen to the baby.
- Veggies and fruits- Fresh fruits and green, leafy vegetables are high in antioxidants. Antioxidants give protection to the brain tissue of the baby from damage. So, include blueberries, tomatoes, broccoli and carrots in your daily diet.
- Omega-3 fatty acids- Consume foods like fish that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids as these acids are great for the fetus’s brain power.
Other tips for boosting the fetus’s brain development
- Some exercises on a daily basis will be beneficial for the mental health of the mother and the baby.
- Studies have revealed that playing music and reading books for the fetus also have positive impacts on the baby’s brain.
- Both parents should talk to their baby every day for assisting mental development.
- Quit drinking and smoking to avoid poor development of the fetal brain.
Always remember that the better the mother’s health throughout the pregnancy, the better the health of the baby. With everybody telling you what to eat and what not to eat, do not end up being frustrated. Giving in to occasional cravings for fast food or ice cream will cause no harm to the baby. So, stay happy, sleep well, practice healthy habits, eat well, gain a steady weight, and wait for your baby to complete your family.